Engineering is a type of science that emphasizes designing, the building of machines, engines, and structures, and provides a broad range of popular career scopes in India as well as abroad. With the economy opening up over the last few years, there has been a stable growth of technology industries and many other companies, due to which candidates may have a variability of career choices. Check Engineering Colleges in Assam here.
The study of engineering will not only deliver good exposure but prepare candidates for expertise in numerous regions of work in the future. The skills, knowledge, and understanding they added throughout this program pave a good scope for their future. One can choose to work abroad in prestigious companies such as Microsoft, Google, Intel, and many more. Many people follow further postgraduate studies in engineering’s abroad such as in the USA, UK, and Germany to have more scope in prestigious companies accompanied by high income.
Eligibility Standards (Undergraduate and postgraduate) of Engineering program:
For the UGengineering degree
- Students should have scored at least 60% in class 12.
- Students should have finished their 12th class in the science stream with math’s, physics, chemistry, and biology as a part of their subjects.
- Admission is granted based on Entrance examination marks or based on merit depending on the colleges.
- Students should have scored at least 60% in the previous bachelor’s degree program.
- Individuals should have finished their bachelor’s degree in BE/B.TECH.
- Admission is decided based on Entrance examinationmarks or based on merit depending on the colleges.
A Bachelor of Technology is a four-year professional undergraduate degree provided in numerous fields in Assam. Some of them are mentioned below:
- B.Tech in Computer Science Engineering
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- B.Tech in Electronics and Communication Engineering
- B.Tech in Electrical Engineering
- B.Tech in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- B.Tech in Civil Engineering
- B.Tech in Chemical Engineering
- B.Tech in Information Technology
- B.Tech in Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- B.Tech in Electronics Engineering
- B.Tech in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- B.Tech in Petroleum Engineering
- B.Tech in Aeronautical Engineering
- B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering
- B.Tech in Automobile Engineering
- B.Tech in Environmental Engineering
- B.Tech in Dairy Technology and Engineering
- B.Tech in Agricultural Information Technology
- B.Tech in Infrastructure Engineering
- B.Tech in Plastics Engineering
- B.Tech in Food Processing and Technology
- B.Tech in Agricultural Engineering
- B.Tech in Motorsport Engineering
- B.Tech in Metallurgy Engineering
- B.Tech in Naval Architecture
- B.Tech in Geoinformatics
- B.Tech in Petrochemical Engineering
- B.Tech in Polymer Engineering
- B.Tech in Nuclear Engineering
Below we have mentioned some engineering streams and their syllabus:
Also Check Top 10 Polytechnic Colleges in Assam
Mechanical Engineering in Assam
- Kinematics of Machinery
- Solid Mechanics – II
- HSS Elective – II
- Workshop – II
- Mechanical Lab – I
- Engineering Materials
- HSS Elective – I
- Physical Training – IV
- Fluid Mechanics – I
- Manufacturing Technology – I
- Machine Drawing
- Physical Training – III
- Solid Mechanics – I
- Modern Biology
- Engineering Mechanics
- Introduction to Computing
- Mathematics – II
- Computing Laboratory
- Basic Electronics Laboratory
- Physics Laboratory/Workshop
- Physical Training – II
- Electrical Sciences
- Mathematics – I
- Physics – II
- Workshop /Physics Laboratory
- Physics – I
- Engineering Drawing
- Physical Training – I
- Chemistry Laboratory
Civil Engineering in Assam
- Mechanics of Solids-II
- Survey Lab
- Mechanics of Fluids-II
- Strength of materials
- Geotechnical Engineering-II
- Environmental Engineering-I
- Strength of Materials Lab
- Mechanics of Solids-I
- Geotechnical Lab
- Mechanics of Fluids-I
- Building Planning and Drawing
- Geotechnical Engineering-I
- Concrete Technology
- Probability, Statistics
- Engineering Physics
- Engineering Chemistry
- Computer-Aided Engineering Drawing
- Computer Programming-I
- Physics Laboratory
- Basic Mechanics Engineering
- Introduction to Electronics
- Practices Lab
- Engineering Mathematics-II
- Engineering Graphics
- Engineering Physics-II
- Manufacturing Process
- Construction Materials
- Computer Programming-II
- Physics Laboratory
- Technical English
- CAD Laboratory
- Engineering Mathematics-I
Electronics and Communication Engineering in Assam
- Digital transmission
- Signals and systems
- Open elective -1
- Advanced electronics and communication engineering
- Communication management
- Hardware designs
- Techniques of Computation
- Antenna and wave propagation
- Basic engineering
- Data Structures
- Microwave engineering
- Satellite communication
- Fields and Waves
- Electrical Engineering
- Electromechanical energy conversion
- Network Synthesis and Analysis
- Digital electronics
- Analog transmission
- Digital communication
- Analog communication
- Wave progression
Computer science and Engineering in Assam
- Artificial Intelligence
- Computer Networks
- Implementation of Programming Languages
- Artificial Intelligence Lab
- Computer Networks Lab
- Implementation of Programming Languages Lab
- Operating Systems
- Computer Architecture
- Database and Information Systems
- Database and Information Systems Lab
- Operating Systems Lab
- Computer Architecture Lab
- Environmental Studies
- Logic Design Lab
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Software Systems Lab
- Logic Design
- Automata Theory and Logic
- Numerical Analysis
- Discrete Structures
- Introduction to Electrical and Electronic Circuits
- Data Structures and Algorithms
- Data Structures and Algorithms Lab
- Experimentation and Measurement Lab
- Introduction to computer programming
- Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Modern Physics
- Engineering Graphics and Drawing
- Abstractions and Paradigms in Programming
- Linear Algebra and Ordinary Differential Equations
- Abstractions and Paradigms in Programming
- Workshop Practice
- Chemistry I
- Chemistry Lab
- Physics Lab
Top engineering colleges in Assam
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Guwahati, Assam
Indian Institute of Technology also known as IIT Guwahati is in 7th position on the engineering list of NIRF. The college, at present, has a strength of 1700 candidates and 410 staff members. IIT Guwahati provides undergraduates, postgraduates, and Ph.D. degrees in 57 programs. The programs taught are in the region of Engineering, Management, Sciences, as well as Humanities. IIT Guwahati college is considered the most attractive campus in the country.
IIT Guwahati has the Brahmaputra on one side plus hills and huge open spaces on the other. The campus houses 12 departments, 6 academic centers, 6 extramural centers, as well as 13 hostels. Also, IIT Guwahati has 136MoUs across 32 countries. These corporations have enabled candidate and faculty exchange courses, candidate internships, joint conferences, and workshops for joint research projects.
IIT Guwahati M.Tech is a two-year course specialized in 11 branches. The course is provided to 5 categories of candidates. The categories of candidates comprise the following: With GATE marks, without GATE marks, Sponsored, Part-time, and Project Staff. The admission standards for every category differ. Candidates with GATE marks are required to qualify for the IIT Guwahati Cutoff set for the MTech course. Students without GATE marks should either have an IIT BTech degree with an 8.0 CGPA or 2 years of work experience or must be working under the Research and Development project by IIT Guwahati.
NIT Silchar, Assam
NIT Silchar is an independent university founded as a joint venture between the Government of India and the State Government of Assam. The collegegrades at 49th position in the Engineering list of NIRF 2021. NIT Silchar is the first college to have a C-DAC (Centre for Development of Advanced Computing) in the northeast area of India. The collegepresently has 105 ongoing sponsored research projects funded by top agencies likethe All Indian Council of Technical Education, ISIF Asia, SPARC, ASEAN, and much more.
The collegeprovides degree programs in Engineering, Basic Sciences, Humanities, Social Sciences, and Management. The maincoursesat NIT Silcharcomprise BTech and MTech. Selection to the NIT Silchar BTech course is done by IIT JEE Main rank. The college accepts the GATE examination rank for MTech admissions. Students seeking admission to the BTech course must score a rank between 7300-65000 in the IIT JEE Main exam.
NIT Silchar has latelydecidedon its placement drives for the year 2022. The college has recorded 19 jobsprovidedof above Rs. 30 lakhs per annum. The highest CTC stood at Rs. 44 lakhs per annum. Over 200 candidates have got placement and internship opportunities at premier organizationsfor example Samsung R&D Institute, Larsen & Toubro, Bharat Electronics Ltd., NCR Corporation, BrightChamps, AWS, CGI, Accoloite Digital, Optum Inc., Thermax Ltd., Vedanta Resources, and more. NIT Silcharrewardsmany scholarships to its meritorious and needy candidates. These scholarship schemes are provided through national-level MHRD scholarship schemes and institute-owned organizations.
Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati (IIIT Guwahati), Assam
Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati which is also known as IIIT Guwahati provides B.Tech, M.Tech programs in ECE, CSE, and Ph.D. courses in ECE, CSE, Math’s, and HSS. There is entire of 290 seats counting B.Tech and M.Tech candidates.
IIIT Guwahati also has a very active placement department with consistent placements drives. The highest international package provided in 2019 was Rs. 56 lakhs per annum. The candidate life at IIIT Guwahati is quite comfortable with the services that candidates are provided. The placement department of the Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati (IIIT Guwahati) is very dynamic as it regularly organizes numerous seminars and workshops related to recruitment. It holds guest lectures from the industry experts to assist the candidates to understand the ongoing and upcoming trends in the industry.
The candidates got provided from both off-campus and on-campus selection processes. The staff at IIIT Guwahati contains an excellent staff of 47 highly qualified members, out of which, 45 are Ph.D. holders in their respective disciplines. The residual has a Master’s degree in their region. They have been well prepared and have received their education from Universities in India as well as abroad.
Central Institute of Technology (CIT) Kokrajhar, Assam
Central Institute of Technology also known as CIT Kokrajhar, Assam, is an independent body registered under the Societies Registration Act, is a Thought to be University, founded on the 19th December 2006 by an MoS on Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) signed between the Assam Govt., the Union Government and the Bodo Liberation Tigers, on 10thFebruary 2003, in New Delhi; situated in Kokrajhar area of Assam. The University offers many UG & Diploma programsunder various departments running in the university so far.
Vital Examinations at CIT Kokrajhar:
- CITEE is an entrance examination for admission to the Diploma program of study in six different streams of engineering in CIT, Kokrajhar, which is affiliated withthe State Council of Technical Education, Assam.
- CITDEE is an entrance examination for admission into the 1st semester of the Degree (B.Tech) course of study as Direct Entry in six different streams of engineering in CIT, Kokrajhar, which is affiliated to Gauhati University, Guwahati, Assam.
- CITLET is an entrance examination for admission into the 3rd semester of the Degree (B.Tech) course of study as Lateral Entry in six different streams of engineering in CIT, Kokrajhar, which is affiliated to Gauhati University, Guwahati, Assam.
- CITBDAT entrance test followed by counseling at CIT, Kokrahar for admissions into B.Descourse.
Assam Don Bosco University (ADBU), Assam
Assam Don Bosco University also known as ADBU, a State Private institute, is situatedin Guwahati, Assam. The institutewas originated on March 29th, 2008, by Salesians of Don Bosco. It has been documented by the University Grant Commission of India as well as the Distance Education Council, India. The University provides many academic coursesat the graduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels. Its goal is to deliver quality education to all candidates regardless of his/her background.
This college has 3 campuses-Tapesia campus, Azara campus,as well as Kharguli campus. The institute provides graduate, post-graduate and doctoral level courses. B. Tech, BCA, B.A and B.Com are provided under its under-graduation wing while M.Tech, MSW, M.Sc, MCA, MA, and MBA in several streams are provided at the postgraduate level. Assam Don Bosco University (ADBU) also provides Ph.D. in fifteen specializations. There are online courses provided for MBA, MCA, and certificate programs.
Assam Don Bosco University also known as ADBU Services
- To providefor the needs of the candidates, well-equipped rooms, workshops, laboratories, canteens, and auditoriums are constructed for candidates. Book-cafe is also occupied with books as well as reference books.
- The University delivers its buses to candidates for easy commutation.
- Skilled doctors and nurses are accessible for first aid and emergency care. The instituteholds annual medical camps to deliver free health check-ups.
- All 3 campuses deliver well-furnished hostels for females and males.
Assam Engineering College, Guwahati, Assam
The Assam Engineering College, Guwahati is one of the premier Universities in the northeast established in the year 1955. The collegedelivers a bachelor’s in a total of 8 regions of engineering. The streamscomprisea computer, electrical, chemical, instrumentation, mechanical, civil, electronics and telecommunications, and industrial and productions. The post-graduation is providedin mechanical, civil, and electrical engineering as well asthe master of computer applications. Other than engineering, the collegebehaviorsprogramssuch as science, humanities, and computer application.
The faculty of Assam College of Engineering is well capable and have good technical skills and understanding. College has more than 100 faculty members and 2000+ candidates. The college has acandidate-to-faculty ratio of 1:16. The staffendorses interactive classroom learning and imparts knowledge through numerous practical ways such as experiments, workshops, and seminars.
The candidates have to apply for the scholarships based on the eligibility standards at the beginning of the academic session. Utmost of the scholarships are merit-based but some scholarships are also accessible for Scheduled Cast/Scheduled Tribecandidates and candidates belonging to the EWS category as per the norms of government.
Jorhat Engineering College (JEC), Assam
Jorhat Engineering College (JEC) is a governmentinstitute in Assam, founded in the year 1959. This college is the second Government institutein Assam. The institute, associated with Assam Science and Technology University, is qualified by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). It was gradedamongthe topmost 100 Engineering institutesof India by Dalal Street Investment Journal in 2010 on the day of its Golden Jubilee. JEC provides B.E. in Electric, Mechanical, Civil, Computer Science Engineering and Instrumental Engineering, M.E. in Electrical and Instrumentation Engineering, Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, and Ph.D.programs.
The placement department of Jorhat Engineering institute, not only works for the cent percent placements of the candidates but also provides three internships for every student in four years. Some of the protrudingorganizationssuch as PWD, Indian Railway, NRL, BRPL, BCPL, BSNL, NEEPCO, ONGC, ASTC, PWD(Assam), Airport Authority of India, OIL, IOCL,and much more. assistcandidates to experience industry exposure with their summer or winter internships.
Assam Science and Technology University, Assam
Assam Science and Technology University, Assam was founded in the year 2010 in Guwahati. The instituteprovides various programs in the field of Science and Technology. ASTU Assam has schools in the regions of Engineering, Science, Pharmaceutical Science, Management and Architecture, Planning & Design and provides numerous undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses. Eligibility for undergraduateprogramsis 12th passed and the same for postgraduateprogramsis a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Collection for B.Tech and M.Tech is done based on the entrance examination (Assam CEE and GATE correspondingly) whereas, for all other programs, admission is done based on merit in the previous qualifying examination.
Only those students who have finished their higher secondary education in related subjects can apply for admission to several undergraduate coursessuch asB.Tech, BBA, BCA, B.Des, etc. candidateswilling to follow B.Tech must also appear for Assam-CEE.
Also,eight full-time postgraduatecourses in Engineering, Business, Pharmacy, Computer Application, Architecture, and Science are provided. Students must have passed graduation in anapplicable subject from a documented university.Admission to the ME course is based on a merit list shortlisting candidates on GATE score. While other coursessuch as MBA require candidates to have qualified CAT/MAT/CMAT or any other national level entrance for this program. M.Des, M.Pharm, and moreentrances are merit-based.There is also a Doctorate course provided by the university in numerous specializations and a Diploma program in Pharmacy.
Assam Down Town University (ADTU), Assam
Assam Down Town University which is also known as ADTU was founded in the year 2010 to provide quality education to North East candidates at an affordable price. The instituteis documented by the All India Council for Technical Education, University Grants Commission, Pharmacy Council of India, Indian Association of Physiotherapy, as well as Indian Nursing Council.
It provides UG, PG, and Ph.D. programsin various fields such as Management, Pharmacy, Science, Arts, Engineering, Nursing, Paramedical, Hospitality, Allied Health Sciences, and more. Apart from these, there are also Diploma and certification programs. The institutehas a world-class infrastructure and delivers good placement opportunities.
Assam Down Town University noted 90% placements in the year 2021. The highest CTC provided was Rs. 25 lakhs per year, while the average package was Rs. 4 lakhs per annum. The institutehas collaborated with more than 300 recruiting partners and secured more than 700 job provides for its candidates. Some of the topmost recruiters comprise multinational and national firms for example Amazon, BYJU’s, Wipro, TCS, Cognizant, Capgemini, IBM, HCL, Accenture, P&G, Cipla, Nestle, HP, Genpact, Apollo Group, NIMHANS, Taj Chennai, Lemon Tree Group of Hotels, and Radisson Group among much others.
Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology – GIMT Guwahati, Assam
Girijananda Chowdhury Institute of Management and Technology also known as GIMT Guwahati, was founded in the year 2006 by the Shrimanta Shankar Academy Society. GIMT Guwahati provides programsin undergraduate, postgraduate, and Ph.D. programs. At the undergraduate level, it delivers B.Tech., BBA, B.Sc, BCA. Under the postgraduatecourses,programsare MBA, MCA, and M.Tech.
- The instituteis associated with Assam Science and Technology University (ASTU) and agreed by the All India Council of Technical Education.
- Around 30% – 40% of the candidates get positioned in top-notch companies.
- The average package provided is 3 to 4 lakhs per annum.
- The institutehas numerous collaborations with companies as well as institutes.
- Institutedoes deliver scholarships to meritorious and needy candidates.
- The staff at GIMT Guwahati is well experienced, has extensive knowledge, and has a friendly nature.