Genetic Engineering, in easy words, is a laboratory method utilized by scientists to alternate the DNA (Deoxy ribo Nucleic Acid) of dwelling organisms. Check Genetic Engineering in India .
This exquisite department of engineering or technology permits the human minds to intrude in and alter the approaches of life, start demise or even gives break out from sure congenital diseases. There is amazing scope on this area because the call for for genetic engineers is developing each in India and abroad.
Genetic engineers/scientists re-set up the series of DNA in gene the use of synthetic methods. The paintings includes extracting the DNA out of 1 organism, converting it the use of chemical substances or radiation and in the end placing it lower back into the equal or a special organism.
For e.g. genes and segments of DNA from one species is taken and positioned into any other species. They additionally look at how tendencies and traits are transmitted via the generations, and the way genetic issues are caused. Their studies includes gaining knowledge of the reasons and coming across capability remedies if any.
Genetic Engineering in India
The specializations in genetic engineering are associated with vegetation, animals and human beings. The plant genetic engineering includes enhancing sure herbal traits of value, viz. boom resistance to ailment or harm and to increase new traits and so forth.
It is used to alternate the colour, size, texture and so forth of vegetation in any other case called GM (Genetically Modified) foods. GE in human beings may be to accurate intense hereditary defects via way of means of introducing regular genes into cells in vicinity of lacking or faulty ones.
Genetic engineering is a complex and maximum state-of-the-art department of technology which continues to be in a manner of improvement in our country.
Genetic Engineering Eligibility Criteria
- An individual wannabe for a career in genetic engineering can begin the BTech course after his/her 12th Science with Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Biology.
- One who desires for further study and research can pursue M.Tech and PhD in genetic engineering offered by few institutes in India including the IITs.
- Admission to B.Tech in Genetic Engineering/Biotechnology/ Biochemical Engineering is made normally through entrance exams. SRM University offers a B.Tech program in Biotechnology with a specialization in Genetic Engineering.
- One can also chase 3-year B.Sc degree course in Biological Science / Genetics / Life Science / Biotechnology subjects and then go for post graduation (MSc) in genetics.
Genetic Engineering Career and Job Prospects
In India, there are numerous sectors that provide employment to genetic engineers and professionals so a job in genetic engineering is gifted.
- Medical Industry
- Agricultural sector
- Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Industries
- Research and Development Departments of Government, Semi-Government and Private Sectors.
These industries present the finest career opportunities to genetic engineers and professionals with good-looking salaries apart from additional perks and benefits.
Genetic Engineering Salary Package
The profits of genetic engineers are typically excessive compared to different frontier branches of engineering and science. A sparkling graduate in genetic engineering can get month-to-month profits among Rs 30, 000 – Rs 35, 000. The pay-package deal in overseas international locations could be very excessive compared to India.
There are many Indian and multinational agencies in biotech quarter positioned in India and overseas supplying pretty excellent employment possibilities to genetic engineering specialists and scientists.
Salaries earned through specialists in those corporations typically variety from Rs.20, 000 to 30,000 consistent with month. However, withinside the USA and European international locations pay package deal is a good deal better because of complexity of task and absence of skilled specialists.
Genetic engineering specialists operating in authorities laboratories and studies centres get excellent profits other than different perks and benefits. One also can paintings in studies labs positioned in overseas international locations which give large remuneration compared to India.
Top 9 Colleges/Institutes for Genetic Engineering 2022
|Aryabhatta Knowledge University
|Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University
|Bharath Institute of Science and Technology
|Indian Institute of Science
|Madurai Kamaraj University
State Wise List of Engineering Colleges
- Andhra Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu & Kashmir
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
- Uttar Pradesh
- West Bengal
Applications of Genetic Engineering
Genetic engineering is used in research, medicine, industry and agriculture and can also be used on a broad range of animals, plants and micro organisms.
Medicine – Genetic engineering in the field of medicine is used in manufacturing drugs. The ideas of genetic engineering have been applied in doing laboratory research and in gene therapy.
Agriculture – In Agriculture, genetic engineering is used to produce genetically modified crops or genetically modified organisms in order to make genetically modified foods.
Research – Scientists uses the genetic engineering in their variety of researches. Genes from different organisms are converted into bacteria for storage and modification, creating genetically customized bacteria.
Courses & Eligibility
What are the courses in this field?
It is a specialization of biotechnology. There are many undergraduate (UG) and postgraduate (PG) courses available in this field. Some most sought courses opted by students for genetic engineering is listed below:
- B.Sc in Genetic Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Genetic Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Genetic Engineering
- M.Sc in Genetic Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Genetic Engineering
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Genetic Engineering
We are mentioning some specializations accessible in genetic engineering. These are given below:
- Clinical genetics
- Classical genetics
- Molecular genetics
- Genetic algorithms
- Behavioral genetics
- Population, quantitative and ecological genetics
For admission in UG courses, college students need to have exceeded twelfth Science exam. In India, maximum of the faculties supply admission on the premise of ranks secured in JEE Main 2021. Joint Entrance Examination Main (JEE Main) is commonly performed withinside the month of April. Some establishments additionally present admission on advantage basis. For IITs, it’s far important for college students to qualify JEE Advanced 2021 after clearing JEE Main.
For admission in PG courses, college students must maintain a bachelor diploma in genetic engineering from any diagnosed university. Mostly GATE 2021 rating card might be taken into consideration for admission in pg courses. On the premise of GATE scores, applicants can practice for admission in Master of Engineering/ Master of Technology courses.
Top colleges which offers various courses in genetic engineering:
• Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
• Indian Institute of Science, (IISc), Bangalore
• Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
• Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
• Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
Genetic Engineering Career Options
“Today, call for for genetic engineers is growing in India in addition to abroad.” After pursuing publications in genetic engineering, you could paintings in clinical and pharmaceutical industries, studies and improvement departments, agricultural sector, genetic engineering corporations, chemical companies, etc. A genetic engineer can paintings in each personal and public sectors. Genetic engineering graduates are required in authorities in addition to personal organizations.
There is a notable increase of genetic engineering in India in addition to in abroad. With the growing variety of biotech corporations in India, the destiny scope in engineering is good. The graduates of this area also can choose coaching as a career.
Numerous faculties are introducing genetic engineering route of their faculties and for that they recruit experts of this area. To end up a genetic engineering studies scientist, you want a doctoral diploma in a organic science. The genetic engineering studies scientist can end up venture leaders or directors of complete studies programs.
Responsibilities of a genetic engineer are given below:
• A genetic engineer need to be conscious of the concepts of the subjects its present and also future prospects.
• The study and research work should be conducted and kept beneath proper care by the engineers.
• Genetic engineers needed to be associated or maintain contacts with various firms and industries.
• Lengthen their work timing in case of unique projects.
- The National Institute of Immunology
- The Institute of Genomic & Integrative Biology
- The Centre for DNA Fingerprint & Diagnostics
- Biochemical Engineering Research & Process Development Centre
Salary packages of a genetic engineer are based on experience, qualification, working area, and many more. You can obtain a handsome salary package after gaining the adequate experience in this field.
The standard salary of a well-qualified genetic engineer is Rs. 20,500 to 35,500 monthly. They can receive more in the private sector as compared to the public sector.
Books & Study Materials
Given below we have listed a number of books which will help you throughout your studies:
• Genetic Engineering by Desmond Nicoll
• Principles of Gene Manipulation: An Intro to Genetic Engineering (G.E)” by Old RW, Primrose SB
• Molecular cloning by Sambrooks and Russel
• Current Protocols in Molecular Biology written by Ansubel FM, Brent R
• Methods In Enzymology written by Berger Sl, Kimmer AR
• Introduction to Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering (G.E) by A.J. Nair
• Techniques in Genetic Engineering by Aksan Kurnaz • The Practical Handbook of Genetic Algorithms Applications by Chapman & Hall/CRC
Check More on Education Rasta .